Today I’m joined by Dr. Christina Bjorndal! While she was working on her undergraduate degree at UBC, she experienced a debilitating depression and anxiety which was very difficult to treat. She also had an eating disorder and had a difficult time coping with stress at that time. Like most people, she hadn’t heard about naturopathic medicine, so she treated herself with medications that were unfortunately ineffective. After surviving a suicide attempt, she finally began the healing process after reading the book Returning to Love by Mariam Williamson. Up until this point, she was living with the shame and stigma of having a mental illness.
Since reading that book she has spent over 20 years learning to accept herself and her diagnosis with the help of many other practitioners and has found many other ways to treat her mental disease. After attending a mental health forum in 1999, she became a patient of Dr. Abraham Hoffner and experienced her first depression free year in 13 years. It was then that she decided to become a naturopathic doctor to help people heal from all diseases from addiction, to eating disorders, and OCD to name a few.
She has written a book called Beyond the Label: Moving from Mental Illness to Wellness with Naturopathic Medicine which will soon be available on Amazon!
Questions I Asked Christina:
- Describe what it was like to set up your practice.
- Did you always know you wanted to focus on mental health issues?
- What struggles or benefits did you experience opening your practice in a small community?
- How pivotal was it for you to go above and beyond to learn about the area you want to specialize in?
- What are some other areas of your practice that you have found really add to your success in the industry?
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- How Christina decided where she would open her practice.
- What Christina believes the number one hurdle is for naturopaths when opening their practices.
- The benefits Christina has found by focusing on one aspect of naturopathic work.
- Why Christina believes in healing yourself as a practitioner before healing other patients.
- Keynote Speaker
- Beyond the Label Book
- Testimonials from Dr. Chris
- Beyond the Label Training
- Moving Beyond the Coaching Program
- Edmonton Naturopathic Blog
Connect with Christina: